Sliding (wait, I'm already here) home ...

So, I've actually been really busy on my little "vacation". I've been running around doing so much, trying to make time to spend with everyone. Whew! It's been crazy, but so much fun!

And, did I mention the weather here? (Thank you God for such beautiful weather, I needed a break from that awful Florida heat something fierce.) I'm talking 50's and 60's in the eve and 70's during the day (Christin and I are logging 3.5 miles at noon people, and not on a track, through her "burby" 'hood with some tough hills and I'm hardly breaking a sweat!) Friday night (when I'll be catching my high school alma mater football game as part of my reunion festivities - yay!) is supposed to be in the 40's! I'm so psyched! I was sitting with my Aunt at my 9-year-old cousin's baseball game yesterday evening when I said to her, "It's kind-of getting chilly out and I like it." She laughed and said, "Oh, yeah? I knew it. You know, after living here most of your life and getting to experience four seasons, you really will miss that [read: F-O-U-R seasons] in Florida." (Um, hello, I already do, and I've only been there for about 10 months.) I said, "I know. I want some cool, fall weather so bad!" (Then she reminded me of the few things I said about the cold in NYC when I moved back down South and how I said I could live the rest of my life without wearing a sweater again. Okay, so, I lied. Sue me. Sweaters and coats (hey throw in some scarves and gloves too!) are cute (and so warm!) and I think I would love to actually need to wear them again soon!)

And dare I say that It's really funny and interesting to watch eight and nine year old boys play machine pitch baseball. Some of them are very serious about it, others, hmmm, not so much. Some confidently step up to the plate, tap it with their bat, draw a line in the box and set up to hit a homer (some even "adjusted" themselves (yes, you read that right) - um, they are 8, people! 8!!!), another, timidly walks up and sets his bat on his shoulders and squints and steps back when the ball comes across the plate. Oh, the dynamics ...

Anyhow, my cousin, Trent, who turned 9 yesterday, is quite the baseball player and I had so much fun cheering him on while visiting with some of my family. Now, I know Orlando isn't the "largest" of cities (and not necessarily metropolitan either) and it's not like there aren't "burb" and "family" type activities going on, but, when I'm there it's about me and my friends and we are all still unmarried and without children and don't really have a lot (if any) family there. We don't do baseball and soccer games, etc. (Instead we do happy hour, the Lodge and Christos) And, now I'm realizing that I kind-of miss that ... along with friday night football games, cookouts, lunch on Sunday after church ...

Actually, being at home this week has made me realize I miss a lot. That, my friends, is actually (gasp!) becoming a bit hard to swallow for me. Leaving on Sunday is really going to pull at the heart strings ... I mean really ...

Comments

Popular Posts